Omicron variant of COVID-19 confirmed in Halton and Durham regions cases
Updated: Friday, March 21, 2020, 7:12 PM EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — North Carolina’s Health Department on Friday confirmed an Omicron variant of coronavirus (COVID-19). The report was first made public late Friday afternoon by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). This is the first test in the Triangle and only the second test in the state.
The NC Division of Public Health confirmed Omicron variant of COVID-19 is likely related to the Hacienda Rd. outbreak in New Jersey just last week.
“While this report is not in any way conclusive, the information indicates a high degree of similarity between the cases in both our state and New Jersey, especially considering the fact that the two cases were in close proximity to each other. Therefore, we will follow up with the State of New Jersey regarding the outbreak in Hacienda Road,” NC DHHS Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen said in a statement on Friday.
The Triangle is among the hardest hit states with four confirmed cases, while four more cases are still being investigated, but as of Friday, the case count had reached 38 in North Carolina.
“We have just confirmed two cases of the Omicron variant of coronavirus that was recently identified in New Jersey. Our case numbers continue to grow and the more information we have the better,” Dr. Cohen said in a press release. “As of 11 a.m. on Friday, March 21, our current numbers stand at 38 confirmed cases in Durham and Orange County, as well as three other cases in Wake County, one in Wake County and one in Chatham County. And as of 10 a.m. on Friday, March 21, our total statewide case count stands at 55 cases.”
North Carolina Health reported Friday afternoon that all three positive lab results were negative for COVID-19.
The Triangle, and particularly Durham, will be hit hard by this virus.